So one of the things that happens every so often is that your MSFT credentials expire, and you need to get a new password. Usually there are ample reminders that this is coming.
That wasn’t the case for me last month with everything going on, so last night I braved the support line to handle this. The guy was very helpful, and I was somewhat dense. I had trouble reading some of the screen stuff that was to guide me through. Oy!
When I got in, I had nearly 2000 messages, 1500 of them unread. When I finished the first pass this morning, I had 250 messages in my inbox, with no unread. It’s amazingly easy to delete daily messages that are old, or that I don’t stand a chance of pitching in on!
Later today, I need to take a shot at the remaining 3000 messages that were filtered to other folders. That should be pretty easy as most of these are automated.